Tuesday, April 22, 2014

2nd Trip ~ Episode 9: A Close Shave, Sudanese Style

 Sept 2013- Jan. 2014  
We are all probably familiar with the saying, "Expect the unexpected." This saying is especially true in Africa, applying to situations both big and small. I learned this lesson in a rather small thing, but it was humorous and humbling at the same time.


     After two months of living in our village of Borongole, my hair was getting a bit long. Making heavy-duty physical labor, under the African sun, hotter than usual. I asked my fellow missionary and co-laborer, Robert Kirkman, to give me a military style hair cut, short, but not too short. Trouble was encountered when his battery-operated trimmers wouldn't cut it (haha). My South Sudanese friend, Irahma, offered his heavy duty buzzers and said he would finish the job. I requested that he leave some on top and then sat down for the most painful hair cut of my life. While gritting my teeth and my eyes closed, I thought a hedge trimmer was being used on my head. Evidently, my hair is pretty thick and tough because Irahma kept saying "Tee Bee Okpwo!" (Hair is hard or strong!)

    In the African concept, no region of hair is shown partiality and all hairs are created to be equally.... shaved off. Half way through I took a break from gritting my teeth, opened my eyes, and asked for a mirror. There I beheld half of my head almost completely shaved! By that time it was just a matter of waiting while the other half was made level. I now had a very tan face and a very white head, which had not been exposed to the sun to such a degree before.
    Peoples comments were mixed. Some said I truly looked African and my adopted S. Sudanese father and mother said, "We now can really call you our son, because you look like one of our children". Most others laughed or asked, "Who spoiled your hair?" A friend of mine and one of our radio presenters said that he could't help laughing every time he saw me.

    Leading up to that incident, I was taking pride in my appearance. My African tan and the physical fitness I was gaining from hard work and frequent soccer games was beginning to fill my head. I needed to be humbled in order to get the right perspective.
     I learned an important lesson: Taking pride and finding satisfaction in our appearance is a dangerous thing, as it can be changed in the blink of an eye. These things are very shallow and will not last. They can be taken away in any number of circumstances. 
     Pride will puff us up and make us feel good for a little while, but we will be deflated quickly. I realized that life is not about ourselves, but how God can use us to serve and bless others. Phillipians 2:3-4 declares the attitude that blesses others and is a blessing to us in the process:  "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.  Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."
    Humility is a lesson that keeps us safe and satisfied in God. I needed a funny looking haircut to remind me that it's not about me.



No comments:

Post a Comment