Monday, April 21, 2014

Episode 6: Being Like the Little Ones

     


   In any village in South Sudan there are a few elements which seem to be always present. These include: a smattering of tukkells (African huts), herds of goats, chickens, & women walking around with 50+ pound water cans on their heads.  I would be amiss, however, if I left out the most present element in African village life. No matter where you are, there are always hordes of children! These adorable & often dirt covered children steal your heart as soon as you see them. There is such joy in their countenance, especially when they see a white face that is coming to stay among them. Wherever I would go I could expect a group of young children to run up, laughing, waving hello & wanting to shake hands. It made you feel like a celebrity because they were just excited to see you! The way that Africans express themselves is most commonly through laughter & the children were no exception. I loved greeting them in their own language as I could be sure to expect peals of joyful laughter when I did. 

     There was one little boy in particular who really pulled at my heart. He was a part of a polygamous family, of which there are many in the surrounding communities near Borongole. Polygamy is still a big issue in South Sudan & I could always tell the children who came from these relationships. Alex was always wearing tattered, threadbare clothing & in a perpetually dirty state. These children were left to their own devices & would hang around the village playing & following you around. Even hardworking fathers who had multiple wives, were overwhelmed & couldn't possibly cover their family’s physical & spiritual needs properly. The Beth Israel Church is reaching out to these families & addressing this issue through discipleship & prayer.
      I remember my first day in South Sudan. I was setting up the Levi's water filter system when I noticed a small group of boys peering at me from behind a  tree. Alex spoke up first & asked in a thick african accent, "Whats your name?" 
I answered, "My name is Jonathan." There then came hysterical laughter from behind the tree.
He responded "Hello Jonathan!" More laughter.
      One day I took a walk with the Levi's & the ever present crowd of village children. We stopped as William began sharing the gospel with a man near his hut. As I stood listening, I felt a small hand slip into mine & expected to see one of the Levi children. It was Alex & the whole time that we stood in the sun he didn't let go, despite the sweatiness of my hands. In the following weeks we had fun times kicking the soccer ball & him hiding from my camera. 


The innocence & love that these children show really humbled me. As adults we learn to guard our emotions, don't open up too much, in order to protect ourselves from being hurt. The little ones of South Sudan greet you with a warm smile & accept you without any reservations. There is an unconditional love & acceptance that isn't based on what you do, but on the who you are to them.
Jesus instructed his disciples in Luke 18 when  “they also brought infants to Him that He might touch them. When the disciples saw it, they rebuked them.  But Jesus called them to Him & said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” 
    As Christians we must receive others that we meet with the openness of a child. Not as a hindrance to our schedule, but as someone who we have the privilege to love & interact with. Lord Jesus, change our hearts to be more like You!

      The scheduling for my fall trip is up in the air. Depending on the development of an exciting project that is prayerfully being considered, I could be there for a couple months as opposed to two weeks. I am looking forward to the prospect of an extended stay in South Sudan! Thank you so much for your prayers, they are very appreciated. 


No comments:

Post a Comment