Tuesday, April 22, 2014

2nd Trip ~ Episode 12: The Bend in the Trail and Path Beyond


Ingoni! Nichwi? (Hello! How are you?)

   It is a chilly, but beautiful day here in New England. I was incredibly blessed this week to purchase my airline ticket for the trip to South Sudan on March 23rd. Today (Friday) was the final deadline and as of Tuesday I had only half of the amount. That very morning I received a letter and a gift from someone in Afghanistan that covered what I thought was the full price. 
   Two days later, I began the process of purchasing and realized I was still short. God already had it covered and unbeknownst to me, an anonymous person had given an unexpected gift which they left at a church I recently shared at. It covered the remainder of the cost and was a reminder of God's faithful provision wherever He is leading us. Where the Lord guides, there He provides.
   Please pray for:
   -The ability to purchase and bring over a Drip Irrigation system which will enable cultivation in our farmland to continue all year round.
   -The needed trip expenses (visas, fuel for the vehicles picking us up from the Ugandan airport, accommodations during travel, and personal gear needed on the ground) for the two months for myself, the Levi's and Surveyor Brian McKay who will be a part of the team.
   -Donated goods and items to bring with us for the people of Borongole (our village). We will be receiving these until our departure.

    Two trips and six months in Africa has already taught me a lot. As I discovered the needs and work to be done in South Sudan, it was a time of  personal exploration and discovery of the place where God has directed me.  

    As I grew up I often wondered what I would do and where I would be as an adult.  Being home schooled, I would do extensive research on prospective careers and jobs. This often lead to confusion as each possibility never had the full scope of the various interests and desires I had been given. With a love of the outdoors and physical exercise, a desire to do both agriculture and wildlife study, a deep interest in history, and a God-given yearning to serve Him with my life, I was often perplexed. Was there such an occupation or place that encompassed all these things?
     Certain paths and opportunities would open before me, which included Disaster Relief training and a Bible training, however, the bigger picture was still around the next corner. 

    Living and working among the South Sudanese was where the light went on. I realized that my whole life I had been prepared for long term work in Africa and I was more suited to living in a rural African village than back in America. All the training, reading, and learning opportunities shaped me for a life I could have never anticipated. 
   I have the opportunity to be involved in agriculture on a regular basis (see "Episode 9: A Day on the farm") and enjoy invigorating hard work and extensive "footing" around with my South Sudanese brothers. And we are always outdoors except when we sleep or when it rains.
   The flora and fauna of S. Sudan is beautiful and abundant, with much room for recording, studying, and documenting the wildlife for the next generation of Africans (we will begin documenting local plants and trees this trip, so that those who have lived in refuge camps will have the knowledge of the various uses of edible plants, etc. that previous generations have known). 
   The Nehemiah Lighthouse conference center project will be highlighting and rediscovering the history of that region and there is the daily opportunity to share the good news of Jesus Christ on our gospel radio station
   The people who I have the privilege to live and work alongside are the most kind and grateful I have ever met. I now consider each one in our village to be my own brothers and sisters and have been unofficially adopted into Pastor Michael and Katherine's family (William Levi's brother and sister-in-law). I am very thankful to see how God placed these desires in my heart, had a plan long before I knew of it, and was preparing me the whole time.

 "There are secret and invisible things that God makes known to waiting souls.."
                                                                            Thomas Manton

   This all sounds very wonderful, but I have already seen that having a very fulfilling work is not necessarily an easy one. Life anywhere is not a bed of roses (or maybe it is since roses have thorns!). In my previous trips, I have experienced more difficult physical, emotional, and mental challenges than anywhere else. I have had work days of brick production where I felt I was receiving a military smoking (punishment by insane exercise). Tears have come to my eyes at the tragic loss of both young and old. Seeing blatant corruption and greed causes deep frustration. Many of my beliefs were challenged by what I saw and I had to dig deep in study and prayer to solidify the truth in my own heart. I was grieved by observing negative influences and the violence that are coming into the communities of S. Sudan and it has had me on my knees before the Lord Jesus, the only One who can reverse them.
    
   South Sudan is a place of great problems and great potential and only Jesus can meet all the physical and spiritual needs that are present. I am just thankful to be following the path that is set before me and walking it with my Lord and Savior. 

      "Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life."                     Mark 10:29-30  


No comments:

Post a Comment