Monday, April 21, 2014

Episode 2: The Path of Least Resistance


     In South Sudan there is currently very little infrastructure. Therefore all the agriculture and farming that is taking place should be defined as pioneer farming. Just to drive the 6 miles out to the farm from Borongole is an adventure in and of itself. Plowing the land requires one person to operate the tractor/plow and two others armed with Axe and Punga (Machete), to chop and hack down the various stumps and trees scattered across the landscape.  I had the privilege to be very active with the farming and became good friends with the our Agricultural Director, Arama Stephen. We worked together a lot and this one day the two of us assisted our tractor driver in plowing several acres of land.

     After four hours of Axe & Machete wielding, I was willing to keep working, but my energy was flagging. Talking a break, Arama & I took a survey of the far periphery of our fields. Lagging behind in my tiredness, I was not paying attention & forgot two important things:

1. Always pay attention to where you walk in the African Bush. 

2. In the outer field perimeter, our resident Hunter set traps for the WIld Pigs who pillaged our cassava & other crops. Two thick walls of thorns direct the victim to a convenient pathway. In this opening, a cleverly hidden wire noose hangs which will close around the animals neck, tightening as they run forward.

    In one moment I was sluggishly walking along & the next, something began to close around both ankles! I immediately stopping & called out,  "Arama, I am caught in a trap!"  Stories of wild antelope traps, which can take a man's leg off, crossed my mind. When the wire noose was loosed from my legs, I was very thankful it wasn't the antelope variety. After my initial concern, it was actually quite funny & Arama said, "You got caught in a Wild Pig trap!" 
I responded, "The hunters caught a pretty big animal!" I took a look at the easy path between walls of low briar & bramble. My friend then said, "You thought just like the pig, going the way of least resistance." We both had a good laugh.  

    A humorous incident, but also a very good picture of how we can fall into temptation. It is easy to get tired & not want to try any more.  Like a clever hunter, our adversary also looks for those who have given into apathy. They feel like they can't struggle against the tide & fight the corruption which bombards them everyday. If you are a follower of Christ you will be opposed. 1 Peter 5:6-11 says: humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.  Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.  Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.  But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, & settle you. 11 To Him be the glory & the dominion forever & ever. Amen.
   The bottom line is we cannot stand against sin in our own strength. We need to humble ourselves & cry out to Jesus on a moment by moment basis. If we struggle in our own strength or just give up, we have lost sight of the Only Path to safety. There are a lot of temptations, sin issues, relational struggles, false accusations, & various trials which come up on a daily basis. Looking to the Lord keeps us from the way of least resistance, where the traps are.        
    There will also be many times where we do walk into the wild pig traps of life & there we must also cry out to Him. The Good Shepherd will leave the ninety-nine to seek out the one.   

   "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Mathew 11:28-30      



 Etchu Rubongani (Praise be to the Lord)!

No comments:

Post a Comment