Monday, January 28, 2019

A needed reminder of the Gospel from the Heidelberg Catechism



Our church just covered question #60 in the Heidelberg Catechism and it really struck a note in my heart. As one who habitually is trying to earn God's favor by my own efforts, I really need to recite this to myself on a daily and sometimes hourly basis. I hope it is encouragement to you all as it was for us.

Question #60: How are you right with God? 

Answer: 
Even though my conscience accuses me 
of having grievously sinned against all God's commandments
and of never having kept any of them,
and even though I am still inclined toward all evil,
nevertheless, without my deserving it at all,
out of sheer grace,
God grants and credits to me
the perfect satisfaction, righteousness, and holiness of Christ,
as if I had never sinned nor been a sinner,
as if I had been as perfectly obedient
as Christ was obedient for me.

Rubanga koco(KO-CHOH) tutu anya ru ga! (God bless you!)

Jonathan and Joyce




No comments:

Post a Comment